DID YOU KNOW?
How well do you know “Dear Mother” and her history?
By Janice L. Roberts AM&N/UAPB Alumni Board Member
Here’s your chance to prove your knowledge of “HER” past, present and future!
Test yourself with the questions below!
1873 – 1921
BRANCH NORMAL COLLEGE
Branch Normal College, c. 1910
- Branch Normal College were founded in ________, as the second oldest public college in the State of Arkansas.
- The University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff was authorized in 1873 by the Reconstruction-era legislature as the ______________________________ and opened in _______________ with ____________ ___________ __________ principal.
- ___________________________________, it was nominally part of the “normal” (education) department of Arkansas_______________________, later the University of Arkansas. It was operated separately as part of a compromise to get a college for____________________, as the state maintained racial segregation well into the 20th century. (Although the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville was integrated when it opened in______________, it soon became segregated after the end of Reconstruction and didn’t start desegregation until___________.)
- It later was designated as a______________________________. As Congress had originally established the land grant colleges to provide education to all qualified students in a state, in ________ it required states maintaining segregated systems to establish a separate land-grant university for blacks as well as whites.
- How Academic Divisions the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff (UAPB) has ____________;
Name three of the divisions:
- __________________, 2. ____________________, and 3. _________________________?
- What comprehensive ______________________ program in Arkansas, established to help support the state’s ___________________________________industry?
- UAPB’s colors are ________ & _________ and the mascot is the _______________. Arkansas–Pine Bluff’s sports teams have participated in what divisions and conference?
University Museum and Cultural Center
- The University Museum and Cultural Center on the campus of UAPB contains _______, _____, _______, ____________, that document the lives and culture of African-Americans who helped shaped the history of UAPB and the Arkansas Delta. It is the only museum of its kind in Arkansas and was established in 2005.
- Which Housing Complex is named after an Acting Chancellor?
- He was a renowned tenor who performed in Caldwell Hall during the A. M. & N. era. Who was this gentleman?
- Who designed the first two coins bearing the likeness of African-Americans?
- Branch Normal College, 1875, and Joseph Carter Corbin
- A historically black college, Industrial University, Black students, 1872, and 1948
- Land-grant college under the 1890 federal amendments to Morrill Land-Grant Acts, and 1890
- Eight (8); 1. The School of Agriculture, Fisheries, and Human Sciences; 2. The School of Arts and Sciences; 3. The School of Business and Management; 4. The School of Education; 5. Graduate Studies & Continuing Education; 6. Carolyn F. Blakely Honors Program; 7. Military Science, and 8. University College
- Aquaculture, and $167 million Aquaculture
- Black & Gold, and Golden Lion; and NCAA Division I, Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) since re-joining the conference in 1998
- Photographs, Catalogs, Yearbooks, Letters, Artifacts, Portraits and other Ephemera